Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Had these growing up all the time. The meatballs are meatless and very tasty. If you are Italian, you might have had this. If not, you should try it.
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 5 -6 basil leaves, chopped fine
- 10 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil (or as needed)
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (32 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 -5 basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 quarts water
- MEATBALLS: Mix all dry ingredients and make a well.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- This will be on the soft side.
- If it is too dry add water to make it soft.
- In a large frying pan, heat 3 tbs oil (add more oil as needed).
- Drop heaping tablespoons of meatball mixture in hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Put in a bowl after cooked.
- SOUP: In same frying you just used, fry potatoes in same oil.
- In large sauce pan/kettle, fry 1 chopped onion and clove garlic in 1 tbs oil.
- Add 1 qt cut up tomatoes.
- Add basil, salt& pepper.
- Cook about 15 minutes.
- Add 2 qt water, white meatballs and potatoes.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- You could add peas if you want during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
This is soooo good. My husband really liked it too. The meatballs make the soup almost like a rose sauce. I have made this several times now and have also given the recipe out alot. I don't think I would make it with the peas. Thanks