1/4 Photos of White Gazpacho (Gazpacho Blanco)
1 hr 20 mins
Gandalf The White's Note:
There are 7 posted "white gazpacho" recipes on Recipezaar, but all are modifications of the "traditional" recipe ... so here is at least one version of the traditional recipe -- this is how gazpacho blanco is made around Granada (the Andalusian region). This recipe uses almonds to form almond milk -- clearly the recipe comes from the Moorish period of Spanish history. The ingredients are all traditional: olive oil, almonds, garlic and bread. As the other zaar recipes have done, "cooking time" is actually chilling time. Beware of the garlic in this recipe -- it packs a definite punch! My source recommends making a gazpacho blanco and a red gazpacho and serving them in small glasses so everyone gets one of each for the different flavors ... From "The Food of Spain and Portugal" by Elizabeth Luard. Submitted for Zaar World Tour 5 (2009).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups water, for blending
- 1 slice day-old white bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 2 ounces blanched almonds (should be about 1/2 cup volume)
- 2 garlic cloves, fresh, skinned, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water, for diluting
- 1 bunch white grapes, small (for garnish)
- 1Add all the ingredients up to and including the salt into a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly.
- 2Dilute, using as much of the remaining 2 1/2 cups water as needed, to reach the consistency of thick milk.
- 3Taste and season, adjusting as needed (vinegar, sugar, more salt, etc.).
- 4Chill for at least 1 hour.
- 5Pour into a small glass; float a small grape as a garnish and (optionally) put a small bunch next to the glass to contrast with the heat of the garlic; also optionally, add some ice, either as cubes or crushed.
- 6Remember to warn your guests about the "strong garlic surprise".
Browse Our Top Smoothies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Smoothies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Gazpacho (Gazpacho Blanco)
Serving Size: 1 (1790 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 636.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar