Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was taught to me by a friend. A very simplistic recipe which gives you many options on what to serve it with. I've had this with ziti, and prefer it with the smooth kind rather than the ridged kind. But any Macaroni product will do.
- Melt butter over low heat in wide sauce pan, or deep skillet.
- Stir in flour and mix with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Slowly add milk to pan, careful not to burn it.
- When milk is fully intergrated into rue, increase heat and reduce for 10 minutes, stir often to prevent burn.
- If sauce too thick, add more milk.
- If too thin, add more flour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over warmed buttered pasta, and cover with cheese.
- Serve immediatlly.
Nice base for adding favors. I used half and half as I was out of milk. I added mushrooms, garlic, spinach, basil and cherry tomatoes. I served this over penne with sliced grilled chickens and a shrimp kabob per person. Everybody liked it and it was done in no time.
I thought this was a pretty good pasta sauce. I used heavy whipping cream though instead of milk, and used romano cheese. Excellent and very quick!
Excellent base! I was searching for a cream sauce that didn't require actual cream. I was trying to find a base to which I could add my own flavors, so I made the above with skim milk, sauted white onions after the butter, added mozerella cheese in after the milk and added garlic powder, onion salt, dried basil and black pepper as it reduced. So amazingly good! I tossed it with tortellini, chicken sausage and diced fresh tomatoes for a great pasta dish. I hope I didn't hijack your post; I wanted to throw the recipe out there but didn't want to steal your start! Thanks for the great base, would have never thought of it!