Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 6 eggs, separated
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate or 12 ounces high-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- spearmint candy leaf
- red cinnamon candies
- candy-coated licorice pieces
- green miniature jaw breakers
- SUPPLIES: 8-cup tree mold or other decorative mold.
- Use only clean, uncracked grade-A eggs.
- Combine half-and-half and vanilla in medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle gelatin over mixture;let stand 1 minute.
- Stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl.
- Stir about1 cup gelatin mixture into egg yolks; return egg yolk mixture to saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, stirring constantly.
- Stir gelatin mixture into chocolate.
- Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold cooled chocolate mixture into beaten egg.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon mixture into 8-cup tree or other decorative mold.
- Refrigerate until set, 8 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, pull chocolate mixture from edge of mold with moistened fingers.
- Or, run small metal spatula or pointed knife dipped in warm water around edge of mold.
- Dip bottom of mold briefly in warm water.
- Place serving plate on top of mold.
- Invert mold and plate and shake to loosen chocolate mixture.
- Gently remove mold.
- Decorate with candies.