Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a yummy variation on the classic kids' treat. I like my rice krispie squares to be heavy on the mallow so if you prefer, feel free to add more rice krispies to the mix! I don't have easy access to good maple syrup this side of the pond so please feel free to adjust that amount too- 2 tablespoons of the fake stuff I get here is about right but you may need less of the real thing! If you want to make less, half of this recipe fits in a loaf tin beautifully.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 1⁄2 cups white chocolate (6oz)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Line an 8x8inch pan with baking paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Break up the white chocolate, add it and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the maple syrup.
- Add the rice krispies and mix them in.
- Press into the prepared pan using a greased spatula to achieve a smooth top.
- Put in the fridge to chill and set, around 10 minutes.
Yummy! I did change the the marshmallow (4 cups):cereal (5 1/2 cups) ratio. I also omitted the white chocolate chips and added a handful raw cocoa nibs along with 4 Tbs of REAL maple syrup. I would like an even stronger maple flavour - so I may add some maple extract or sprinkle some maple sugar over top next time. I think adding more syrup might make them too sweet to my liking.
I had a very hard time stirring this once I added the chocolate chips. The final result was worth it though. I did only use 2 tbsp of maple syrup. And I added an extra 1/2 cup of Rice Krispies as CoffeeB suggested. Made for Zaar Stars Tag
Took these on a weekend retreat this summer. They were a hit. Moist and Tasty. I believe I only used 2 Tbls of the fake syrup. I think 4 would have made them EXTREMELY sugary with the white chocolate. We eat a lot of sugar free items in our household so adjust the white chocolate and syrup to your liking. I now add syrup to my regular rice krispie treats for a little shot of sugary flavor. Will be making again!