Recipe by tigerduck
This is an outstanding curry that has been adapted from Atul Kochhar's book Indian Essence. The chicken has to be marinated for at least one hour and up to 1 day, so plan ahead.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon sticks, rind (2.5 cm) or 1 inch cassia (2.5 cm)
- 2 onions, halved and thinnly sliced
- 150 g indian beans or 150 g green beans
- 450 -500 ml coconut milk
- 20 g fresh ginger, cut into very fine stripes
- 2 -5 tablespoons fresh coriander (personal preference, can also be left out altogether)
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 20 g fresh ginger, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch cinnamon sticks, rind or 1 inch cassia
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 green cardamoms, pots
- 4 -8 green chilies (depending on type of chilli and your heat tolerance)
- 30 g cashew nuts
- 100 g natural yoghurt
- coriander leaves
- lime slice
Directions See How It's Made
- curry paste:.
- Heat oil in a skillet or heavy bottom pan. Add sliced onion, ginger, garlic, all spices mentioned in the paste section, green chillies (seeds removed) and cashew nuts. Fry over medium heat until onions are soft and slightly brown. Let mixture cool and puree in a blender with the yoghurt to a fine paste.
- Cube the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Put them into a bowl. Cover with the curry paste, mix well and leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Heat oil in a skillet with a high rim, wok or heavy bottom pan. Add the laurel leaf, the star anise, the cloves and the cinnamon or cassia rind. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add onion and fry over low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add chicken including marinade and the beans, fry over low-medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add coconut milk and ginger stripes and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Remove immediately from heat when cooked.
- Before serving, add the fresh coriander leaves and the grated rind and juice of the lime.
- Serve with rice and garnish with coriander leaves and lime slices.