Recipe by Erindipity
More work than your average mashed potatoes, but so worth it. The recipe was given to us by a family at a daycare where I used to work. They actually won a morning show recipe contest with it and I can understand why.
Top Review by yooper
One word...WOWZA! I can't believe this hasn't gotten more than one review! I was looking for a different take on mashed potatoes to serve along side a meatloaf I had made for dinner last night. I am so glad I chose this to make! The slight spiciness of the chili's was offset by the tangy creaminess of the cheese, and the onions and garlic were fantastic compliments as well! I had three servings myself! I could make a meal out of these alone! Here's hoping you get a thousand more five star reviews for this recipe! It truly deserves it!
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 7 ounces chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warmed
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of boiling, salted water cook potatoes and garlic until tender. Drain.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, saute bacon until crisp. Drain.
- In 2 t drippings saute onion until softened. Stir in green chilis. Cook 1 minute. Set aside.
- Mash potatoes. Beat in butter. Beat in milk and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in green chili mixture and bacon.