Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great salad for a summer picnic or backyard BBQ. Or enjoy it anytime!
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white pea beans (navy beans)
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, diced and drained
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (extra virgin is nice)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely grated asiago cheese
- Toss the beans (about 4 cups) with 2 cups roma tomatoes, 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit one hour at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, measure out 1 cup basil leaves.
- Roll them up together and cut them across into chiffonade- kitchen lingo for shreds.
- Add the basil and 3/4 cup asiago cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
This was a great tasting recipe. Different from a lot of other lunch salads. It was very filling and satisfying. Easy on the cook because it was easy to make. Definately another keeper in my cookbook. Thanks bert..
I served this salad for a 3 family picnic and everyone loved it, even the kids. I used the leftovers in a bean soup the next day and it was great too!
The flavor in this salad is really great. I didn't have any asaigo cheese, but I did have a package of feta that needed to be used up that I tossed in. The second day I had a cooked chicken breast that needed using up so I tossed it in the salad, it made a very filling lunch. I will be making this again and again.