Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Great as an appetizer served with pita chips or fresh sliced cucumber. Also a wonderful addition to a pita sandwich.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoining
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground plus more for seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large lemon, juice of (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste (adjust to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place an oven rack in the middle.
- Place the eggplant on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- In food processor, combine the cooled eggplant, beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Pulse until the mixture until coarsely chopped.
- With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of olive oil until the mixture is creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the hummus in a dipping bowl and serve with pita chips or cucumber slices.
This was smooth, creamy, light and delicious! I used a variety of 5 small (4"-6") eggplants (I have no idea how much this weighs) and added a touch extra lemon juice and parsley, but otherwise followed instructions exactly. I also peeled the eggplants. I will absolutely make this again and again - it's so great!! The only other note is that the prep/cook time isn't correct if you count in the cooking time of the eggplant for 20-25 min first. Next time I may double and roast the garlic too.
We are having dinner guests tonight and I made this recipe as an appetizer. I have already been sampling it and I love it. I copied it down and added it to my book of "keepers." This has wonderful flavor and consistency. I didn't modify the recipe at all. It is really nice as is. I'm serving it with pita chips. Thanks!