Babs in Toyland's Note:
This is a savory sweet potato dish that is delicious and also very pretty with the orange sweet potatoes and the green leeks spread around the edges. Yummy. I think this was from the Atlanta Journal Constitution a long time ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub the sweet potatoes under cold running water. Cutn the potatoes into thirds or quarters and put them in a large pot with enough cold water to cover them. Remove the potatoes and bring the water to a boil. Add the potatoes, return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook about 20 - 25 minutes until you can pierce them easily with a fork.
- 2Split leeks lengthwise and wash them under cold running water, root end up. Bending back the leaves to get all the dirt that is clinging to the inner layers. Trim off roots and slice them thinly crosswise.
- 3Peel the sweet potatoes. Whip the potatoes with the cream, bourbon, a few grinds of nutmeg, lemon zest and seasonings.
- 4Put the butter and leaks into a saute pan and turn the heat on to medium. Wilt the leeks, tossing them frequently, until they are translucent and just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Transfer the potatoes to a large serving dish and smooth the top. Put the leeks around the edges and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whipped Sweet Potatoes With Leeks
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.5
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.3 mg
- Sodium 103.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of