Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Whipped fudge--no marshmallow mess! Easy to do using an electric hand mixer! It takes care of adding the "fluffy" part for you. Many combinations to try with this basic fudge recipe! It's awesome, creamy, smooth, decadent.
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (1.5 sticks of butter)
- 1.5 (12 ounce) bags chocolate chips, 12 oz bag (or flavor of your choice-white chocolate, butterscotch, mint chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1 teaspoon orange extract or 1 teaspoon coconut extract, whatever your taste preference is
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (your choice-walnuts, pecans, pistachios etc.) (optional)
- Bring evaporated milk sugar and butter to a hard rolling boil on medium heat.
- I use a non-stick Dutch oven and a long handled wooden spoon. Boil for five minutes -stirring constantly so mixture does not BURN!
- Also, take a stick of butter around the rim of your Dutch oven before cooking your milk/sugar/butter -- Stops it from boiling over, plus it makes sure that all of the sugar gets incorporated -- No grainy bits left in your mix!
- Now for the fun part!
- Chips, nuts, flavoring in large PLASTIC bowl!
- Pour the hot mixture of milk/sugar/butter over the chips, nuts and flavoring.
- USE ELECTRIC HAND MIXER: Start with mixer on low to blend ingredients & then 5 minutes on high. You can also mix it to start off with your wooden spoon and then use hand mixer to finish. This will make the most incredibly light airy delicious decadent fudge you have ever had.
- NO MARSHMALLOW STICKY STUFF TO CLEAN UP!
- Whipping the fudge with the electric mixer eliminates the marshmallow-it is just more sugar and air! The mixer takes care of adding the air to your fudge. It's better for you as you are not adding more sugar.
- I also have added a large Hershey's candy bar-(broken into bits) with the chocolate chips for added richness. You can add any kind of bar you would like (white chocolate etc).
- Pour mixture into 9x13 greased pan -- Spray or buttered, or wax paper lined. Glass or metal. I have even used the bottom of my broiler pan.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes. You can then cut it and turn it out if you want. I let this fudge cool for at least another 4 hours to set up thoroughly.
- Set it outside if it's really cold, but cover it with plastic or a kitchen towel somewhere safe!
- I have prepared this recipe using many different ingredients-it is fun to experiment and try new flavors together.
- Crushed candy canes, orange extract, almond extract and almonds, coconut, Maraschino cherries, cranberries, peanut butter and butterscotch, white chocolate chips, mint chips -- be brave -- explore your options!
- My husband loves the peanut butter and milk chocolate chips together for this fudge.
- Happy Holidays and Enjoy -- DIANA!