Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Two of my favorite things: yams and cardamom! A recipe from Bon Appetit November 1996 issue. Original recipe calls for sweet potatoes, which you can substitute but I like my Beauregards.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beauregard yams (or your favorite variety)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, heated slightly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- white pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pierce each yam with a fork several times and place the yams on the baking sheet.
- Bake yams until tender, about 1 hour depending on size.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Peel the warmed yams and place in a heavy mixing bowl.
- Beat yams with electric mixer until mashed. Next add the butter, whipping cream, ground cardamom and grated nutmeg. Whip until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Transfer potatoes to 3 quart oven-proof baking dish and bake until heated through and beginning to brown on the top, approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve warm.
Deeee-licious! These are wonderful, smooth, creamy, savory way to enjoy yams. I doubled this recipe and I peeled my yams prior to baking and loosley wrapped them in non-stick foil. I followed everything else exactly. I'm wondering how a splash of vanilla would be in this....hmmm...I'll have to experiment. I'm making this to take to a family Thanksgiving dinner next week! Thanx for sharing!