Recipe by Jennifer Michele
This is my creation made after tasting something similar at my local whole foods store. There will be extra dressing, just keep it in the fridge as this salad lasts quite a while and may need a shot of it if you are keeping it on hand. I brought this as a dish for a camping trip with a bunch of friends and it was universally loved and I had many requests for the recipe when we all
- 2 cups cooked wheatberries
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 dried currant
- 1⁄4 dried cranberries
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 -2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 -3 oranges, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine wheatberries, apple, walnuts, currants, cranberries, red pepper, carrot and celery in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk Orange juice.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking briskly.
- Once emulsified, add lemon juice to taste.
- Pour over berry mixture a little at a time.
- Taste after each addition and stop when you like the flavor.
- This tastes best once left overnight, but is still good the same day.
- If you are leaving it overnight, reserve any leftover dressing to add the next day as the flavor mellows a lot in the fridge.