Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mother's recipe. It tastes great right out of the oven or used for toast. Very light for a wheat bread. The kneeding is done in the bread machine and the baking is done in the oven so the loaf looks more traditional.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 tablespoon gluten
- Put the water in the bottom of the bread machine bread pan.
- Add the powdered milk, bread flour, whole wheat flour salt and sugar.
- Add the butter, yeast and gluten.
- Set bread machine on dough setting.
- When bread machine is finished, pre-heat oven to 170 degrees and TURN OVEN OFF.
- Add bread dough in a bread pan to the pre-heated oveh that has been turned off and let rise 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take risen loaf out of oven and and pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake bread in oven for 30 minututes.
- Remove bread from pan and cool on rack.
- Spread a small amout of butter on top as bread is cooling.