1 hr 15 mins
Wheat berries are surprisingly sweet chewy sources of fiber, protein, B vitamins, folate, zinc, iron, and magnesium, as well as phytochemicals! This is a wholesome salad! Adapted from Prevention magazine(2005)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 4 slices eggplants (3/4 inches thick)
- 4 sweet onions (3/4 inches thick)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 4 thick diagonal slices
- 1 medium crookneck yellow squash, cut into 4 thick diagonal slices
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- parsley sprig (to garnish)
- oregano sprig (to garnish)
- 1Place wheat berries in a medium bowl and fill with water.
- 2Cover and soak, in refrigerator overnight.
- 3Drain and place in a medium saucepan.
- 4Cover with water, and heat to a boil.
- 5Simmer, uncovered, until wheat berries are tender, about 1 hour.
- 6Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400*F.
- 7Arrange eggplant, onion, zucchini, squash, and bell peppers in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- 8Lightly brush vegetables with 1 tbls. of the oil.
- 9Roast 20 minutes, turn over, and roast 10 minutes longer.
- 10Remove eggplant, zucchini, and squash and set aside.
- 11Continue to roast remaining vegetables until browned, about 15 minutes.
- 12Cool vegetables.
- 13Season with 1/8 teaspoons of the salt and pepper.
- 14Cut half of the vegetables into 1/2" pieces.
- 15In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, parsley, oregano, garlic, remaining 3 tbls. oil, and remaining 1/8 teaspoons salt and pepper.
- 16Add wheat berries and cut up veggies.
- 17Toss to coat.
- 18Spoon onto serving platter.
- 19Arrange remaining vegetables around edges.
- 20Garnish with Parsley and oregano.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wheat Berry Salad With Red Peppers, Eggplant and Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.1
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crookneck yellow squash