Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a soup recipe that I made up in a hurry. I would like to dedicate this recipe to a fine lady, (Lois Stark), who had some difficulty in making a soup out of items she had available. This soup turned our real good.
- 1 (48 ounce) can beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, include liquid
- 3⁄4 cup barley (pearl barley if available)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1⁄2 cups left over chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (if available, but not necessary)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large cooking pot or large saucepan, add beef broth, water and quartered potatoes and bring to boil.
- Crush and add tomatoes including liquid.
- Add barley and bring soup to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for about 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove potatoes into a mixing bowl and mash.
- Add butter or margarine and mix well; set aside.
- Add cubed potatoes and elbow macaroni to cooking pot and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add mixed veggies, chicken pieces, soy sauce (optional), salt and pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove about 4 cups of soup and process through a food processor or blender and return to soup pot.
- Now add reserved mashed potatoes, mix well and bring just to boil.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove from heat and let soup sit for a least 10 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate any unused portion of soup.