Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A classic recipe which can be prepared in advance: rarebit served on French bread crostini. Modify the amount of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce according to how hot you and your family - or guests - like your rarebits! In the original recipe, these rarebit crostini are made using Extra Mature West Country Farmhouse Cheddar. This is not going to be available everywhere, so I'd suggest being guided in your choice of cheese by the words "extra mature"! Well, at least use a stronger flavoured rather than a mild cheese. The original recipe also suggested serving the crostini rarebits with a sprig of fresh redcurrants, which Zaar wouldn't accept and which again undoubtedly are not available everywhere, so perhaps use a sprig of parsley. Adapted from a recipe from the British Cheese Board.
Top Review by scimietta99
OMG - This was good! A bit more time consuming to make than a traditional rarebit but so worth the extra effort. The taste combination is wonderful! You need a very strong cheddar otherwise the garlic overpowers it. Absolutely wonderful and great party food. Nice to see a rarebit recipe that includes the egg yolk - lots of the recipes on here miss them out. I will make again but double the quantity - I think I ate half of them on my own LOL. Thanks
- 1 long stick French bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 300 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Making the Crostini: Cut the French bread diagonally into thin 1cm thick rounds. Brush each round with the olive oil and divide the garlic between the rounds. Place the bread rounds on a baking sheet and oven bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 until crisp and golden.
- Roasting the shallots: Oven roast the shallots with the olive oil and balsamic at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for about 30 minutes until soft, covering with wetted baking parchment if they start to excessively brown. Once cooked halve the shallots.
- Preparing the rarebit mixture: Warm the milk in a medium size pan but do not allow to boil. Stir in the cheese until melted; add the flour, mustard powder and, Tabasco and Worcestershire Sauces and stir over a gentle heat until a thick paste is made. Cool for a couple of minutes before beating in the egg yolks.
- Making the rarebits: Spoon the rarebit mix onto the prepared crostini and top with the shallots. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 until the cheese begins to bubble and brown at the edges.