Recipe by Shels
I got this recipe from my supervisor. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to really soon!
Top Review by Katja Virtanen
I loved this recipe!!! I had eaten something very similar in an african restaurant and wanted to try to make it myself. One of my "guinea pigs" was from Nigeria and he very much approved of it! Do thanks for sharing.
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 4 cups assorted chopped vegetables, such as zucchini,mushrooms and peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil.
- Roll chicken in flour and brown in oil with nutmeg and chili powder.
- When chicken is browned, add onions and garlic, tomato paste, water, hot sauce (if using) and salt.
- Stir well.
- Mix the boiling water with the peanut butter and add to pot.
- Simmer covered over low heat until tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- About halfway through cooking, add chopped vegetables.
- If stew is too watery, mix 2-3 tbsp of corn startch with cold water to make a thickening paste and add to stew.
- Serve over a bed of rice.