Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
This extremely easy recipe is almost as good as it's more time consuming orginal version. It was found in The Really Useful Vegetarian Student Cook Book. If you top each slice with a poached egg you'll have a Buck Rarebit.
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, vegetarian version for vegetarians
- 1 small knob butter
- 2 slices toast
- 2 poached eggs (optional)
- Beat together cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and butter to make a paste.
- Spread on toast and place under broiler for 3 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Top with poached egg if desired.
I have never done Welsh Rarebit this way before but it is really and quick and still rather tasty. It is pretty warm today so I did it as a quick lunch in microwave/broiler and it came out great, though needed about 5 minutes to broil as it is not as fast, but certainly better than turning on the oven today. I did it with the eggs because I quite like Welsh Rarebit with poached eggs on it. Thanks! Made for ZWT 8.
My mom used to make the kind of Welsh Rarebit with the cheese sauce when I was a kid, and it was good, but yummm, this is so much better than I remember! This was easy, fast and practically no clean up. It was perfect for tired, hungry me for a light supper, along with a salad. Thanks for posting this one! Made for ZWT 8
I used Vermont Sharp Cheddar and it turned out great! I served it with bagel chips, saltines and toast points, and the kids just loved dipping them in the sauce as they ate!