Recipe by rashizzle123
Comforting layers of pasta, tomatoes, peppers and cheese. So good and so filling! A definite hit in cold-weather months.
- 24 ounces marinara sauce, store-bought
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, fire-roasted, drained
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, cheeses
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano suggested
- 1⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 item(s) dry lasagna noodles, regular or whole-wheat
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, water-packed, cut into thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small pot, combine marinara sauce and tomatoes; set over low heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; stir to combine. Stir in egg substitute, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Spoon 1 cup of sauce in bottom of an 11- X 7-inch glass baking dish. Arrange 2 lasagna noodles over sauce, down center of dish. Spread half of cheese mixture (about 1 cup) over noodles; top with pepper strips. Place 2 more noodles on top; spread with remaining cheese mixture. Top with 1 cup of marinara sauce; place remaining 2 lasagna noodles on top. Spoon remaining sauce over top and gently press down on lasagna.
- Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil; bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake until sauce is lightly browned and noodles are tender when tested with a knife, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to firm up slightly. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.