Recipe by Becky in Wisconsin
This recipe is compliments of "30 Minute Meals". I seen this aired and I CAN'T wait to try it. So I'm posting it here for safe keeping. It has two sauces, and I think that is great.
Top Review by Digitalboy75
Its an easy recipe to follow, visually appealing and with the addition of some cheese on top and garlic bread and salad; makes a very filling meal. Nothing really pops out about the recipe on the palate, but I think some tweaking of the red sauce might bring back some of the lasagna taste.
- 1 lb campanelle pasta
FOR RED SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, 2 thick slices, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb meatloaf mixture (ground beef, pork and veal mix) or 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled (2 chopped, and 1 left whole)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
FOR WHITE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil; salt water and cook pasta to al dente. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- While pasta water comes to a boil, heat olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-hihg heat, add pancetta and render 2 - 3 minutes. Add ground meats and break up as it browns. When the meat has begun to caramelize and develops a nice brown color, about 4-5 minutes, add carrot, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, allspice, salt and pepper, and bay leaf. Cook 3-4 minutes more to soften onions and carrots, then stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes; stir in wine and cook out 1 minute then stir in stock and reduce heat to a simmer.
- While red sauce cooks, cut remaining garlic and rub the inside of a sauce pan with it. Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk together a minute or so, then whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, reduce heat then season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Thicken 8 - 10 minutes.
- Toss pasta with white sauce and 1/2°C grated cheese. Serve pasta in individual bowls and top with a ladle of the meat sauce in the middle of the bowl for mixing. Top each bowl with more cheese if desired.