Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. This is the recipe I use for watermelon sorbet. I make it in my ice cream machine, but I'm sure you could freeze it in a shallow pan if you don't have a ice cream machine. This recipe works well for making sorbet from most (non citrus) fruits. Cook time = freezing time in my ice cream machine.
- 2 cups watermelon, puree (about 1/4 chilled watermelon, seeds removed)
- 3⁄4 cup simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cut well chilled melon into cubes, remove seeds and place chunks into blender or processor.
- Blend/process until pureed.
- Mix puree together with remaining ingredients and chill (about 1 hour).
- When mixture is cold, pour into ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Yum, perfect for summer! Add some fresh mint and/or rosemary to the simple syrup (discard herbs before making the sorbet) and it can't get any better!
Wish I had some rum to make a daquiri out of this! It is terrific. I served it in a martini glass, so pretty. Think I'll use the rest of my watermelon on this recipe.
The hardest art of this was making the simple syrup. I used a "freeze the bowl" type freezer, and it worked just fine. Light and crisp, this is great on a hot summer day. Thanks for sharing this treat!