Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
When watermelons are plentiful and the summer heat is causing you to thirst, this beverage is just the ticket to cool you down.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups watermelon, peeled seeded and diced
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 quart carbonated water
- Make a simple syrup by bringing the water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar dissolves.
- Press the watermelon through a fine sieve with the back of a large spoon into a bowl. Discard pulp in sieve.
- Combine the watermelon juice, sugar syrup and lemon juice in a 2 quart pitcher.
- Chill. Add carbonated water to juice mixture just before serving over ice.
Very yummy. I juiced the watermelon in my juicer which made the job very quick. I didn't have any carbonated water, but with still water over ice, my kids still loved it.
Wow! This is FABULOUS!!! I made my simple syrup in the micro since I was in a rush, and used lemon flavored carbonated water (la croix). I found that squeezing the watermelon over a sieve was easier than trying to press it through. The flavor of this is just fabulous... My DH loved it as well! I think this would be a Fantastic beverage for a baby shower, etc where alcohol isnt favored. Thanks for this recipe! Definitely a keeper!