Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Thirst Quenching Cooool Watermelon!!
- 4 lbs wedge watermelon
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons campari (optional)
- Remove rind from watermelon, cut into 2 inch chunks and remove seeds.
- Arrange in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet, or in a resealable plastic bag; place in freezer until frozen, about 1 1/2 hours (Transfer to airtight freezer bags if not using immediately).
- Place frozen chunks in a food processor, process until smooth.
- Add sugar, lime juice and Campari, if using.
- Process until fully incorporated, about 5 minutes, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Freeze in an airtight container, at least 2 hours, until firm.
- Stir if juice starts to separate from ice.
We are having a birthday/slumber party tonight so I gave the kids some choices as to what they wanted for beverages. This recipe was selected almost unanimously (one watermelon hater voted for something else). The kids all pitched in and helped cube the watermelon and remove the seeds--made short work of it and had fun doing it. I threw the watermelon in the freezer on two low edged cookie sheet/sheet cake pans, then proceeded to make the homemade Totilla Pizzas. Everyone loved the Watermelon Ice with the exception of the one teen who had an aversion to watermelon to begin with. We will definitely be having this again!!! Thank you for sharing this recipe Dorothy!
Have you ever ended up with a watermelon that just wasn't very sweet for some reason? That happened to us last year, and rather than throw it all away, we made this recipe with it. It was so good, and especially nice for hot summer days. I made it again this summer with a sweeter melon, and decreased the sugar by about half. We loved it just as much.