Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A simple although strong and peppery summer salad with you guessed correctly- no mayo!! I have for this recipe also substituted other melons in season, including casaba and honeydew. From Bon Appetit Magazine August 1996.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, NOT dried
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or a combination of the two oils) or 1⁄4 cup almond oil (or a combination of the two oils)
- salt or fresh ground pepper
- 2 bunches watercress, watercress sprigs torn in half (about 10 ounces)
- 2 1⁄2 cups watermelon, cubed (or use melon baller to shape remove seeds)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cantaloupes, cubed (or use melon baller to shape the cantaloupes, if desired)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds (if using hazelnuts, substitute hazelnut oil for the almond oil) or 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (if using hazelnuts, substitute hazelnut oil for the almond oil)
- Whisk lime juice, sugar or honey and ginger in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season the salad dressing with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Add the watercress, watermelon, and cantaloupe to dressing and toss to coat.
- Transfer salad mixture to individual plates or serving bowl. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and serve.
- Salad can also be chilled for 1 hour prior to serving.