Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Washington House Inn is a bed and breakfast in Cedarburg Wisconsin. This is often on the breakfast menu there. I have slightly modified the original recipe to our tastes. The number of muffins is approximate. Start this at least the night before as the cherries need a minimum of 12 hours to "marinate".(not included in prep time)
- 1 (1 lb) cantart pie cherries or 1 lb frozen tart pie cherries (if frozen, partially thawed)
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- sugar, for sprinkling
- Put cherries (juice and all) in a bowl.
- Add 1 t almond extract.
- Let stand 12- 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together.
- Add cherries (well thawed by now), and mix well to coat the fruit.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Add milk, butter, and additional 1 t almond extract to the rest.
- Stir until blended.
- Add nuts.
- Fill paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle tops lightly with sugar.
- bake at 400 degrees for 22- 25 minutes.