Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful dish when served with a scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice cream and candied pecans.
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, candied
- 4 pink lady apples, Ida
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, golden
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, fresh ground
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar, dark
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, small cubes
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, dark
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup juice (reserved apple baking juices)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the skin from the top third of each apple.
- With a melon baller or a paring knife core the apples, leaving the bottom intact so that it can hold the delicious filling.
- In a bowl combine the pecans, raisins, sugar, butter, orange rind, flour and cinnamon, blend well.
- Gently stuff the apples with the mixture.
- Place the filled apples upright in a small baking dish and pour the apple cider over top of the apples.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the apples from the oven, (keep them covered) drain the cider, into a small pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, set aside until needed.
- In a small pan, on medium, heat the sugar and orange juice until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until sugar has turned a golden color.
- Carefully pour the reserved apple cider into the orange sugar mixture. It will bubble and spit, once it has stopped then slowly stir to blend together.
- When ready to serve pour sauce over the apples and enjoy.
Buddha says this yummy dessert tastes just like apple pie filling, and I agree. :) I made just 1 serving that we shared using a green golden delicious apple. The directions are spot on and this is really simple to prepare. The only change we would make would be to omit the 1st brown sugar (2 1/2 Tbsp) as it was just a wee bit sweeter than we prefer.
Thanks for this great recipe! I made it for a neighbor who likes baked apples, & in the process I stretched everything a little so I could make a 5th apple just for myself! OUTSTANDING taste & well worth making again! Served it up with Dreyer's Slow Churned Yogurt Blends Vanilla ~ GREAT! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]