Yummm, a perfect Spring or Summer dessert! This recipe tops fresh strawberries with a batter that produces an airy cake and a wonderful crisp crust. The fruit becomes almost jam-like. The fruit filling can also be made with a combo of berries, including blackberries, raspberries, etc. The vanilla bean in the filling is very nice, but pure vanilla extract can be subsituted. I serve this warm with vanilla ice cream. This is adapted from Food & Wine magazine. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 lbs strawberries, hulled and halved (8 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry and vanilla seeds and let stand until the berries release some of their juices, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the fruit filling into a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish set on a sturdy baking sheet.
- Crumb Topping:.
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients with your fingers until a coarse meal forms; press into small clumps.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and scrape down the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit filling, spreading it to the edge, sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling, the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
- Serve the crumb cake warm or at room temperature.
- Make Ahead:.
- The crumb cake can be refrigerated overnight. Serve warm or at room temperature.