Recipe by carrie sheridan
The red pomegranate seeds and green spinach leaves make this very Christmas-y... and very healthy
- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds of, only
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the spinach leaves in cold water briefly, dry well (preferably in a salad spinner) and remove the stems.
- Place torn spinach leaves, avocado slices, pomegranate seeds and sliced mushrooms into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large dry skillet, toast walnut pieces over high heat for 1-1/2 minutes, shaking and tossing constantly.
- Sprinkle nuts over salad.
- In the same skillet, fry the bacon until crisp, turning frequently, and remove from pan to drain on a paper towel.
- Pour off all but 1 TBS of the fat.
- Over medium heat, blend in sugar, vinegar, oil and pepper and heat through, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
- Crumble the bacon over salad, pour the hot dressing over it and toss.