Recipe by stephanie
Try it with crusty bread and couscous. It is delicious.
Top Review by Mrs B
Very good, very easy. I was so intrigued by the unusual mix of ingredients that I had to try this straight away! Of course such a hasty decision meant that I didn't have all the right ingredients :-) to hand, so I made a couple of close substitutions which worked well (1 tbsp semi-dried tomatoes in oil for 2 of the tomatoes and two sticks of celery - which I added at stage 5 - instead of parsley). Even though I was making this as a main dish for two people I found I had enough lentils after adding 2/3 of them, so I'll cook less next time.
- 1 cup green lentil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cover lentils by 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, 2/3 of tomatoes, cucumber, cumin, ginger, paprika and cayenne.
- Cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add parsley and lentils, stir for 2 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in remaining tomatoes and garnish with feta cheese.