Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
Serve this with pork.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups instant rice, uncooked
- 1 small red apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the water, cider, salt and cinnamon and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, apple and walnuts.
- Cover and remove from the heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
Very tasty. I had to use veggie broth as I didn't have any apple cider or juice. I also added 3 or 4 cut-up dried apricots. Used Basmati rice and just let it cook a bit longer. Thanks for a keeper!
this was really quite good, and you're right, it goes with pork most excellently. my sweet Wife can't do walnuts, so i used sliced almonds instead and it was still wonderful. i served this as a bed for Denise!'s Spicy Baked Pork Steaks [Recipe #26322], and it was the perfect accompaniment. thank you for sharing it.