"We need more cheese Gromit!" Very serious cheesy scones which use way more cheese than normal for a scone mix; they will not rise quite as high as plain scones - but as you can see from the photo, they get there! Try and use a good quality mature Cheddar or any local type of strong cheese that is available. They can be made in about 20 minutes, if you have all the ingredients to hand and the oven has been pre-heated. Great for afternoon tea, picnics, buffets & packed lunches. You can also add chopped chives & herbs for a change.
- Preheat oven to 220C/450F/Gas mark 7.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.
- Add 5 ounces of the grated cheese & mix well.
- Add the milk and mix very quickly - do not over mix.
- Mixture should be sticky and soft, if too dry, add more milk.
- Place onto a floured board a knead briefly.
- Roll out to about 3cms/1" thickness.
- Stamp 12-14 rounds out of the dough - do NOT twist the scone cutters as it stops them from rising!
- Place close together on a greased biscuit/baking tray.
- Brush the beaten egg over each scone as a glaze and sprinkle the remaining 1 ounce of cheese over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then spilt them in half, butter them -- divine!