I just one first prize in a contest sponsored by http://www.igourmet.com for the best pizza recipe. I have to say I am SO excited! The requirements were to use at least one ingredient that they carry -- I used five, the 2 cheeses, pepperoni, peppers and tomato puree can all be found on their website. I think the combination of flavors will speak for itself.
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- olive oil
- 1 cup cal valls organic tomato puree
- 1 cup Peppadew pepper (I prefer mild)
- 2 cups grated fontal cheese
- 1 cup crumbled crater lake blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced molinari pepperoni
- Combine yeast and water in a non-metallic bowl and stir until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl combine the flours and spices.
- When yeast starts to bubble, add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place dough in a non-metallic bowl greased with olive oil, roll the dough until all of it is greased, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal onto your pizza pan.
- Roll dough out on a floured board to fit your pizza pan (I use 14 or 16 inch pan depending on how thick I want my crust).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees – bake dough in the oven for 10 minutes or until the center of the crust looks firm. (I do this only because my oven does not get as hot as I would like it to for pizza. If you have a pizza oven, then there is no need to pre-bake the crust.).
- Remove dough from oven and apply toppings below.
- Apply layer of tomato puree onto the pizza crust (I usually use about ½ can).
- Sprinkle the fontal cheese on top of the sauce.
- Apply a generous amount of peppadew peppers over the fontal cheese (at least ½ jar) I leave the peppers whole, but you can cut in half if you prefer.
- Apply the sliced pepperoni.
- Apply the crumbled blue cheese.
- Brush a bit of olive oil on the rim of the pizza.
- Return to the 450 degree oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.