Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick spaghetti dinner with staple ingredients
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced onions
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb spaghettini
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic, onions olive oil, and red pepper flakes in a large straight-sided saute pan.
- Cook over high heat, stirring often, until the garlic becomes golden and the onions have started to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the wine; continue to cook over brisk heat, letting the wine boil until it is almost completely reduced and you are left with a glossy purple glaze on the onions; remove from heat.
- Stir a generous amount of salt into boiling water and drop in spaghettini; cook at full boil, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente, 4-6 minutes.
- Transfer ½ cup of the pasta cooking water to the saute pan set over medium heat.
- Drain the spaghettini, transfer to the saute pan, increase heat, and cook, stirring and tossing the pasta until most of the water is absorbed.
- Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano grated over the top.