Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
You usually had eggs from chickens, milk & butter from cows and sugar and vinegar as preservatives for fruit, vegetables & meat. Serve fresh berries on top of each slice, strawberries, blueberries or raspberries with cream. This is good. Old, old ranch recipe. My Aunt Laura would make this for us. This has no milk.
- In large saucepan, melt margarine.
- Add sugar, flour, cold water, vinegar.
- Whisk to mix so there is no lumps and all is mixed well.
- Add beaten eggs. Mix.
- Cook on low to medium heat stirring until filling starts to thicken. Stir a few more times and set aside.
- Place pie crust in a deep dish pie pan.
- Flute edges with the back of a fork.
- Prick 4 sets of fork tine holes in wheel fashion on the bottom of crust.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Throw beans in the bottom of pie pan.
- Bake 8 minutes. Take out of oven.
- Lower oven temperature to 375°.
- Remove the beans.
- Throw one dash salt on the pie crust.
- Pour in filling and level evenly.
- Wrap tin foil around the edges of the pie crust.
- Bake about 40 - 45 minutes. Check. When the filling is lightly browned and a knife stuck in the center comes clean it is done.
- Cool in cold box, refrigerator or cooler.
- Note: This recipe can be put in a camp oven or cast iron dutch oven over coals. The crust on the bottom may become a little crispy.