Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
From Mr. Price's "Come into the Kitchen" cookbook comes this oyster recipe from the Early America chapter. Prep time includes chilling.
- 4 dozen large live oysters
- 8 peppercorns
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce
- Shuck the oysters and put them, along with their liquor, into a sauté pan; simmer over medium heat until they begin to curl around the edges.
- Remove cooked oysters, leaving the liquor in the pan; set oysters aside.
- To the pan add the peppercorns, salt, mace, wine, vinegar, sherry, and Tabasco, and simmer over low for 10 minutes.
- Remove pickling sauce from heat and let cool.
- Put the cooked oysters into a quart container with a lid, then pour the cooled pickling sauce over.
- Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator for 1 day.
If Vincent Price thought it was good, who am I to argue! His cookbooks are the best ever written. Served these for Christmas Eve and the whole room cheered! Made the short drive down to Panacea, Fl and got the fresh ones right off the beds as they came in!