Recipe by echo echo
A very hearty beans, vegetable and sausage one-dish supper. Hits the spot on a chilly day. Preparation time shown does not include soaking beans overnight.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is a terrific stew. I had my doubts about some of the ingredient proportions but it all worked out beautifully. Don't forget to add the sage and pepper. They aren't mentioned in the directions. The only changes I made were to skip the cornstarch (didn't need it) and forego the butter (didn't miss it). Wonderful combination, eebrag. Loved it.
- 1⁄2 lb kidney beans or 1⁄2 lb pinto beans
- 2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 4 onions, sliced and divided into rings
- 2 green apples, peeled and cut in wedges
- 2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, sliced, cooked
- 1 large smoked sausage, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover; drain and put in a large heavy casserole.
- Cover the beans with water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, onions and apples; let cook 15 minutes longer.
- Add the ingredients potatoes through sage and continue cooking 20-30 min until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbs water to thicken the sauce.
- Stir in the butter until it melts.
- Remove from heat, top with the bacon and sausage and serve.