Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 6 ounces butter
- 6 ounces self raising flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- vanilla extract or 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- icing, for filling
- cream butter and sugar till very pale in colour.
- fold in flour and beaten eggs with vanilla or alternative,you may add a little milk if need be to get a soft mixture.
- put into two greased 7inch cake tins.
- bake in a medium oven[about gas 4 to 5]till pale gold and spongy to touch.
- the middle shelf of the oven is the best.
- when cool sandwich cakes together with filling of your choice.
- suggestions are jam,lemon curd,butter icing.
- the top can be dredged with icing sugar or covered with fudge,or water icing depending on taste.