Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. If you can't find cardamom seeds, please feel free to use ground cardamom.
- 1 compressed yeast cake
- 1 pint milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 cups flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup citron
- 4 cardamom seeds
- Heat milk to scalding and cool to lukewarm.
- Soften yeast in milk, add sugar and half the flour to make a sponge.
- Beat well.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- When risen, add eggs, salt and butter; mix until thoroughly blended.
- Sift remaining flour over raisins and citron.
- Remove cardamom from seeds and crush finely.
- Add with flour, raisins and citron to first mixture.
- Knead together until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn onto lightly floured board and shape into buns.
- Place on greased baking sheet about one inch apart; let rise until light.
- While buns are rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.