Recipe by spatchcock
Very hearty and healthy soup!
Top Review by Smartie309
The first time I made this, I wasn't overly impressed - though this could have been because I forgot to add the lemon juice and pepper. =P But I made it again for my dinner tonight, with the addition of a tablespoon of tomato puree (I find lentils a tad bland on their own), and it turned out very very tasty. I'm actually wishing I'd made more of it. Mmmm.
- 8 ounces split red lentils
- 2 large onions, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (I added tons more)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the lentils, one of the onions, and the garlic into a large saucepan with 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are very tender and pale.
- Stir well to get a smooth texture.
- Then add some lemon juice (start with 1 tablespoon) and some salt and pepper until it tastes just right, and serve.
- If you want to make it spicier, fry the other onion in a little oil for about 10 minutes, until it's crisp and lightly browned; add the ground cumin and stir for a few seconds longer.
- Pour this mixture over the top of the soup just before you serve it.