Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Taste of Home Magazine, August/September 1997. This is called a cake but is not tall and looks more like a danish to me because it is cooked in a 15x10x1-inch pan.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, divided (you may also use frozen blueberries)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add extracts.
- Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter in a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- For filling, combine flour, cornstarch and tapioca in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of blueberries; mash with a fork and stir well.
- Add lemon peel and remaining berries; toss to coat.
- Pour evenly over batter in pan.
- Drop remaining batter by rounded tablespoonfuls over filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake.
This is a really yummy recipe and I would agree with Juenessa that it's more like a danish than a cake. I think that the lemon juice/peel and the almond extract kick it up in flavor and give it its secret ingredient. I used frozen blueberries, therefore I rolled them around in some flour to help decrease in too much liquid. Thank you Juenessa for a lovely recipe!
My blueberry-loving DH can't get enough of this cake. It has been in my collection for a long time and I could make it once a week without hime getting tired of it, I think! Thanks for posting!
I did it for 10 servings. In a round dish maybe 9 inch or 10 inch. I cooked it for 35 minutes at 350 F. I used only shortening. Maybe the glaze is too sweet (but it's my opinion :) ) Thanks Juenessa :) hahah I changed it to 5 stars. Cause I tasted it yesterday (1 day later) and it's better. It's moist and not too sweet.