1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Elie de Combys's Note:
I wanted a banana bread that was not flour and sugar with bananas, but more like... bananas with flour and sugar. So I searched and calculated the amounts of bananas in various recipes, and finally I found one that I was quite satisfied with (but I still modified it, I'm really not one for the usual "2 parts white flour + 1 part white sugar + 1 part butter"). This has a really dense and heavy texture. Though it is made in a cake pan, it is definitely not cakelike, and is more of a breakfast than a dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces whole wheat flour
- 3 ounces buckwheat flour
- 3 ounces oat bran
- 1 ounce flax seed meal
- 3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (I always use organic golden cane sugar instead of white)
- 3/4 cup oil (I like olive in this recipe, but some might dislike the fact that the olive taste is perceptible)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups nuts, chopped (optional)
- 5/8 cup dried apricot, chopped (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2Grease and flour a 9"X13" (preferably pyrex) pan.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, bran, flax meal and baking powder.
- 4Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- 5Add the sugar to the eggs, and, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat 1-2 minutes.
- 6Still beating, gradually add the oil.
- 7When it is well integrated, add the bananas and zest (if desired) and beat until the texture is homogenic.
- 8Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing until smooth after each addition.
- 9Fold in the nuts and apricots, if using.
- 10Scrape the batter in the pan and spread it evenly, making it perhaps a little thinner in the center.
- 11Cook about 70 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 12Cool 30 minutes, then unmold and finish cooling on a rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.4
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 139.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g