Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law while I was searching for a moist banana bread recipe years ago. She said the buttermilk makes all the difference. After trying a handful of different recipes - I am inclined to agree! The original recipe is for banana bread. I loved it so much I also altered it to make zucchini bread too! This recipe is one of those throw everything in a bowl and mix recipes - which is why I love it. It also freezes very well. **If you don't have buttermilk - plain yogurt can easily be substituted. Use 1/2 cup yogurt with a splash of milk.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Pour into greased bundt pan.
- Bake about 50-55 minutes at 350°F.
- For Zucchini Bread - OMIT vanilla and bananas. Add above ingredients and bake as directed.
- Mini chocolate chips and chopped nuts may also be added, if desired.
This was good. I did the zucchini version and left out the lemon peel but added pecans.
One of the best Zucchini cakes I've ever tasted (aside from my Italian MIL of course). My family loved it. Super easy to make, moist, very tasty. 5 star all the way! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I had an enormous zucchini from a friends garden, so I made 2 bundt cakes! I made a slight addition to the zucchini bread recipe - I added 1/2 mashed banana to each cake. It was DELICIOUS and I gave the extra cake to my friend who also LOVED it. Thanks!