Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A make ahead salad for a hot summer night. Cooking time is the refrigeration time.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 -2 sweet red pepper, cut in julienned strips
- 1 -2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into julienned strips
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 ounces vermicelli
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Several hours or a day ahead, pour oil into a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, stirring, until limp.
- Remove and discard garlic.
- Add peppers and zucchini; cook, stirring frequently, until very tender and limp.
- Stir in sugar, when dissolved, add vinegar.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in soy sauce.
- Transfer to a storage bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before using.
- Cook vermicelli; drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add zucchini-pepper mixture.
- Toss to mix thoroughly.
- Ladle onto large salad plates or in shallow soup bowls.
- If desired sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with Italian bread sticks.
I made this yesterday morning, for last night's dinner. We all enjoyed it! It is one of those recipes that you can tweak to fit your tastes and pantry...I added chopped red onion with the veggies, and used red and yellow peppers. Also added grilled chicken to make a "dinner" salad. All I had was black sesame seeds, but they added to the colors, as well as the flavors. Great for hot (or any) weather!