Recipe by AshK
Another great recipe passed on to me by my husband's grandma. I usually don't make bread, but this one is a keeper.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
Tagged Beverage Tag Holiday 2008 This is very good bread. I like that it is a quick bread and the apples and raisins make me feel as though it is healthy! I usually make a banana type bread but his was great for breakfast or the sweet tooth. I also made this recipe a 2nd time for muffins. DH liked them to take with him for breakfast as he has given up eating donuts. :) I used wheat flakes first time and bran flakes the 22nd time, subbed 1/4 cup splenda for the sugar, and low fat applesauce in 2nd batch. Both tasted great! This is a keeper!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup melted shortening
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 cups wheat flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar together.
- Combine egg, milk, shortening and honey.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Mix until the flower is dampened.
- Stir in applesauce and raisins.
- Fold in wheat flakes.
- Turn into greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and 10 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Wrap in foil and store overnight for easiest slicing.