Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
Posted for the kid. I have no clue about this. I don't do Venison. Original from Taste Of Home. Submitted by D.C. of PA in their game recipe section.
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 medium onion, shopped
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces pepperoni, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 14 1⁄2 ounces spaghetti sauce (optional)
- The dough should be 1 pound each loaves.
- The Italian dressing should be the prepared kind. The Mozzarella and Cheddar are about 4 ounces each.
- Let the dough rise until doubled in a warm place. Cook in a skillet over medium heat, venison, onion, green pepper and mushrooms in the oil. Drain and add the seasoning.
- Punch dough down on floured surface and roll into 16x8-inch rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise. Brush with the Italian dressing. Leave 1 inch edge. Place venison mix, cheeses and pepperoni. Fold and seal well. Place on baking sheet. Brush with rest of Dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. It should be golden brown when done. Serve with heated sauce if using. Makes 4.
I found this in a TOH hunting and fishing cookbook and made it for my DH and his friends to take on a hunting trip. They all loved it. I made a little extra for me and have to agree that it is a terrific venison recipe. I would highly recommend it to people who love venison as well as those who are hesitant to try it. I am not a huge fan of deer meat but prepare it for my DH and sons. The strong flavors of the Italian dressing and pepperoni mask any "gamy" taste from the meat. This is a great way to use ground venison. Thanks for posting.