Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this on the internet when challenged to cook venison for the first time. Thankfully all went well, so here it is. I made bulk amounts of this salad, so the measurements may be a bit out.
- 600 g venison loin
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bunch baby beets
- 8 shallots or 8 baby onions
- 300 g Baby Spinach, washed
- 1 pink lady apple, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Peel the beetroot and shallots, cut into cubes and place on an oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and roast until soft and golden brown - about 25 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan, add olive oil and cook the venison loin (I cut it in two) for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to oven to continue cooking until steaks are done. This takes about 5-10 minutes, depending how rare you like it! Allow to rest while you make the salad.
- Toss the warm roasted vegetables with the spinach leaves and apple, season with salt and pepper and dress with the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Arrange on serving plate.
- Slice venison steaks into thin strips and arrange on top of the salad. Sprinkle with roasted hazelnuts and serve.
I choose to cook dinner tonight and we had some beutiful spinach in the fridge, i chose this recipe because we love venison in my family, also i eat 3 apples a day and of course, they are pink lay. i loved the taste of the shallots and betroot together. Thanks for posting, Miss Pixie x x x :)