Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the recipe to use if you NEED to make brownies and have no access to unsweetened chocolate. They are exceptionally dense and fudgy. The chocolate chip frosting is not optional - it actually helps the brownies to achieve the right texture. My favorite way to eat these is chilled, with a glass of milk.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 5 ounces butter
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten with a fork until the yolk and white are combined
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate (6 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler over barely simmering water, stirring to combine them.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 inch square pan and bake about 25 minutes, or until the center feels firm to the touch.
- It sould still be too soft for a tester to come out clean.
- Do not overbake!
- Immediately after removing brownies from the oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
- Let them sit a minute to melt, then spread them evenly over the brownies with a knife.