1/1 Photo of Veggieful Oven-Baked Chili
2 hrs 20 mins
This robust chili will take the chill off on a cold winter night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs vegetarian ground beef, substitute
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned-15 ounces)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro (good) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground dried chipotle peppers or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 2 -3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, well-drained
- vegetarian cheddar cheese (optional)
- lime zest (optional)
- 1In a large skillet, warm the veggie burger a bit.
- 2Add the chopped onion, and cook until the onion is soft and the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, peppers, spices, and cornmeal, stirring to combine and allowing to simmer for about 1 minute, just till everything is hot.
- 3Spoon the chili into an ovenproof 2- to 2 1/2-quart crock or casserole dish; add sufficient water to cover.
- 4Cover the dish, with a lid or foil, and bake the chili in a preheated 275°F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 5Stir the chili after 1 hour, adding a bit of tomato juice or water if most of the liquid has evaporated, and it seems dry.
- 6Half an hour before serving, stir in the beans, and cook until heated through. Garnish the chili with fresh cilantro and and grated veggie cheese (with a bit of lime zest added to it), if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggieful Oven-Baked Chili
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.6
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 56.2 mg
- Sodium 165.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 22.7 g