This robust chili will take the chill off on a cold winter night.
Make and share this Veggieful Oven-Baked Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs vegetarian ground beef, substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned-15 ounces)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro (good) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried chipotle peppers or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 2 -3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, well-drained
- vegetarian cheddar cheese (optional)
- lime zest (optional)
- In a large skillet, warm the veggie burger a bit.
- Add the chopped onion, and cook until the onion is soft and the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, peppers, spices, and cornmeal, stirring to combine and allowing to simmer for about 1 minute, just till everything is hot.
- Spoon the chili into an ovenproof 2- to 2 1/2-quart crock or casserole dish; add sufficient water to cover.
- Cover the dish, with a lid or foil, and bake the chili in a preheated 275°F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir the chili after 1 hour, adding a bit of tomato juice or water if most of the liquid has evaporated, and it seems dry.
- Half an hour before serving, stir in the beans, and cook until heated through. Garnish the chili with fresh cilantro and and grated veggie cheese (with a bit of lime zest added to it), if desired.