Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
This quick and easy meal is one of my favorites. You won't find a veggie quesadilla this healthy or tasty if you order it in a restaurant. This recipe will make three burrito-size quesadillas (three servings). You will need either a large skillet or a griddle and a medium-size saucepan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 burrito-size flour tortillas (use reduced fat or whole wheat type if available)
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan or skillet on medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion and saute until onion is tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute 3-4 minutes more.
- Add spinach and saute on medium-low until spinach is slighly wilted.
- Add cumin and cayenne and mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- On griddle or skillet pre-heated to medium heat, place one tortilla at a time to warm slightly.
- Remove tortilla from heat and put 1/3 of veggie mixture and one ounce of cheese on one half of tortilla. Fold in half. Do this for each tortilla.
- Turn heat on griddle or skillet to medium-high and cook each quesadilla for 4-6 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- The quesadilla is ready when the tortilla is slightly brown and the cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool slightly for 1-2 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
This is like a quesadilla I had years ago! I loved it then and am enjoying making it for my family now. I tried it with spinach tortillas and pepper jack cheese with great success. Thank you for posting it!